Malai Kofta (Stuffed potato balls in cream)
200 g potatoes, boiled and grated
100 g paneer, crumbled (cottage cheese)
1 tablespoon corn flour
1 teaspoon cumin powder
Salt to taste
oil, to deep fry
1 tablespoon raisins, chopped
1 tablespoon cashews, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
2 medium onions, peeled, washed and chopped
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled, washed and ground to a paste
2 cloves garlic, ground to a paste
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cream
1 tablespoon sliced almonds
1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, washed and finely chopped
1 tablespoon mango powder (amchoor powder) - optional
2 tablespoons oil
- Mix all the ingredients for the Koftas together.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions.
- Shape into balls.
- Flatten each ball.
- Place 1/2 tsp of chopped nuts and raisins in the center of each ball.
- Close the ball (you may use a little water to seal the ball with your fingertips).
- Prepare all koftas in this way.
- Heat oil in a wok and deep fry the koftas till golden brown on either side.
- Remove onto clean paper napkins, allow the excess oil to drain and keep aside till you prepare the wonderful gravy.
- Now for the gravy.
- For that, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pot.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste.
- Sauté for 4 minutes, stirring it continuously till it is golden in colour and the raw smell is gone.
- Add onions and fry till golden in colour.
- Add 2 tbsps of water.
- Mix well.
- Add chilli, turmeric and coriander powders.
- Add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add 1-2 tbsps of cream and cook for a minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Place koftas in a serving dish.
- Pour the gravy over them.
- Garnish with mango powder, cream, almond flakes and corriander leaves.
- Serve hot.