3/4 cup whole black lentils (whole urad)
2 tablespoons kidney beans
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 green chilies, slit
1 stick cinnamon
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 1/2 cups fresh tomato puree
3/4 cup cream
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
salt to taste
- Clean, wash and soak the whole black lentils and kidney beans overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the lentils and beans with salt and 2 cups of water and cook till the dals are overcooked. Whisk well till the mixture is almost mashed.
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the green chilies, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom, onions, ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the onions turn golden brown in color.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomato puree and cook over a medium flame till the oil separates from the tomato gravy.
- Add the dal mixture, water and salt if required and simmer for 10 t 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Garnish with the cilantro and serve hot.